On today’s episode of Bond Appetit, we had the pleasure of picking the brain of business owner and sales veteran, Richard Forrest. Starting his career in Scotland with a degree in Forensic Science and then working in the pharmaceutical industry, Richard soon realised he was much better suited to a life of selling than science. Richard proceeded to work his way to Australia and from telemarketer to a senior management position with an international sales and marketing company, where he was responsible for managing a region that generated over $30m in annual revenue.
In our chat with Richard, we went for a deep dive into the psychology of sales and in particular why telesales still has so much value in the digital age. Along the way, we explored Richard’s career story, talked about framing rejection, conversations, freedom, philosophy and how Richard has built a successful business from the ground up.
Listen to the full episode to hear all of the above, plus things like:
- What FMG is and what sets them apart
- The three keys that affect people’s sales results
- How Richard went from someone who couldn’t sell almost anything to a top performer in his company
- How the internet has made prospecting more competitive
- Why dedicated teams are better at telemarketing than in-house sales
- How to overcome ‘call reluctance’
- The biggest challenge Richard has had as a business owner
- Why there are no quick fixes in telemarketing/sales
- An anatomy-level breakdown of FMG’s approach with each client
- The challenge presented by many creative people not liking numbers
- How to deal with impatience when it comes to sales (and business)
- How Richard thinks about freedom
Forrest Marketing Group
Air Marketing Group
Author: Ronsley Vaz
Ronsley is the founder & chief day dreamer at AMPLIFY. He is an author, speaker & serial entrepreneur.
He has a Masters’ degree in Software Engineering and an MBA in Psychology and Leadership. He is known as the creator of We Are Podcast – the first Podcasting Conference in the Southern Hemisphere, and the host of The Bond Appetit Podcast and Should I Start a Podcast. He has an audience of over 3 million in 133 countries.
Podcast: Play in new window | Download