Rowan MacKey in an aspiring journalist and broadcaster. He’s still 23 years of age and lives in South Geelong, Victoria, Australia. He went to University of Canberra, one of Australia’s top universities for getting a job.
As Rowan was starting his adventure outside of school, he was curious about the things that he has been seeing in society. Having a lot of questions about people doing and pursuing their professions that they don’t even like or enjoy, he then thought of something that might help him an answer and solution to it.
He started podcasting and having guests to chat with about what they wanted to be when they were little kid, and might see how this relates to their actual professional pathway. Rowan wanted to get an insight to some of the tangibles how how people ended up where they are as well as few observations on their chosen industry.
In this episode we talk about:
- What Ronsley says when people ask him what he does
- Ronsley’s aspirations as a child
- Ronsley’s journey to finding his path before becoming who he is today
- Education background and views
- Ronsley’s corporate experience as a Software Engineer
- Where his entrepreneurship career started
- How he managed to successfully combine two different careers into one
- The process Ronsley went through to create a successful podcast
- The mentors Ronsley learned from
- How he balances being reasonable and ambitious
- Ronsley’s definition of success and failure
- The unexpected things in podcasting
- His parents’ role in his journey to podcasting
- How sports and physical activity helped his state of mind
- The balance of moving forward in his career and starting new projects
- Tips on becoming more self-aware
- Dealing with self-motivation as an entrepreneur
- Dealing with anxieties and fears
- How he uses back-up plans
- Advice to people who want to be an entrepreneur
- What he’s most proud of in his career
- Where Ronsley sees himself in the future
What would’ve made it easier/What would you have changed?
‘I think it comes from being open about your successes and failures. Being open about how you think. We need to be honest and open because sometimes when someone’s asking you how things are going, they genuinely want to know.
‘I was not like that. In fact, I was brought up in a society, in a culture, where you always have to be right.’
When someone is considering a podcast as a medium, how do they know if it’s for them?
‘You need to constantly look at what you’re doing and see whether it fits within your values and fits with what you want to do, and whether it makes you happy and re-calibrate what your future looks like because you’ve constantly got to learn.’
What are the most important things to consider?
‘I think self-awareness is something that we need to pay more attention to. I think being aware of how we feel and how we perceive things.’
Where to find Rowan MacKey
Author: Ronsley Vaz
Ronsley is the founder & chief day dreamer at AMPLIFY. He is an author, speaker & serial entrepreneur.
He has a Masters’ degree in Software Engineering and an MBA in Psychology and Leadership. He is known as the creator of We Are Podcast – the first Podcasting Conference in the Southern Hemisphere, and the host of The Bond Appetit Podcast and Should I Start a Podcast. He has an audience of over 3 million in 133 countries.