Nicole Avery is one of those people who has a whole lot on her plate but balances it all with finesse. She is a professional blogger at Planning with Kids, an author, speaker and marathon runner – on top of being a mother to five kids aged 7 to 17. She is the host of This Family Life podcast, where they talk all things about managing the chaos of family life. Through the podcast series, it is her aim to offer out wisdom, looking at the nitty-gritty of what other families do to make family life easier for them and their kids.
Her blog is a goldmine of tips, advice and lessons on managing family life, from meal planning to ways to fitting in me-time, all with Nic’s trademark practical and approachable style. We chat about her path to professional blogging, how she manages to cook for and feed seven people, and the steep learning curves of parenting.
In this podcast episode we talk about:
- The things that keep Nicole Avery busy.
- What referral marketing means and how Nicole grows her business?
- Nicole on running her own podcast, This Family Life
- What motivates her in podcasting?
- Nicole being part of the podcasting network, jackrabbit.fm.
- What it’s like to run a podcast?
- The biggest challenges faced by Nicole.
- How she finds the right people for her podcast?
- Nicole on making money from her podcast.
- Why she failed previously in running a business and how she learned from it?
- The question as to whether it’s okay to have a bit of ego or not.
- How Nicole defines success?
- Family and freedom as some of the highest values for Nicole
- The story of Nicole before she started her online business.
- What made it easier for her to do blogging?
- Nicole’s views on failure and why it is never as bad as you think.
- What productivity means and how you can achieve it?
- How to allow yourself to have space?
- How setting up deadlines allows you to launch, even with fear?
What would’ve made it easier/What would you have changed?
‘I thought it was a great way to offer people insights into family life and I guess organising the chaos of family life into a different medium. I do also like talking. So for me, I think I find it pretty easy. So, I thought, okay, this is something I can have a go at.
‘Offering up a podcast is much easier, I think, than doing a video because I don’t have to do my hair or things like that, and the house doesn’t have to be tidy or any of those sorts of things.’
What are the most important things to consider?
‘You need to be putting time into content creation. It needs to amplify through social media but find a process that actually limits the time that you are on there for.’
Where to find Nicole Avery
About Nicole Avery
This Family Life Podcast
Author: Ronsley Vaz
Ronsley is the founder & chief day dreamer at AMPLIFY. He is an author, speaker & serial entrepreneur.
He has a Masters’ degree in Software Engineering and an MBA in Psychology and Leadership. He is known as the creator of We Are Podcast – the first Podcasting Conference in the Southern Hemisphere, and the host of The Bond Appetit Podcast and Should I Start a Podcast. He has an audience of over 3 million in 133 countries.
Podcast: Play in new window | Download