Nick Malgieri is currently director of the baking program at the Institute of Culinary Education in New York City. The author of twelve cookbooks, Nick’s recipes have been published in the New York Times, the Washington Post, Food & Wine, and Gourmet. He is a contributing editor for Dessert Professional and a frequent contributor to Saveur.
In this episode we talk about:
- What it’s like living in New York
- The 9/11 experience
- Windows on the World – The restaurant at the top of the World Trade Centre
- The highlights of the last 40 years in uniting people through baking
- How he started baking and his career as a pastry chef
- Meeting Josephine Baker and Julia Child
- Making cookies for the Shah of the Iran and Princess Grace
- The different versions of tea and the times of day you have tea
- His visit to Australia and the Yarra Valley
- His appearances on the Good Food Show
- How Sydney is more recognisable for New Yorkers
- Whether you need perfect measurements when baking
- How to innovate your recipes and why you should try experimenting by knowing the foundations
- His 12th book – Pastry
- Pastry Perfection – is the Australian version of the book
- Highlights in the book – Pies and Tarts, Lots of Fruit Pies, Cornish style pastries, puff pastries
- The Gluten Free recipes in his book
- Who the book is for
- How his mother and grandmother bought pasta
- His experience with the real Thai food
Nutrition and Meal Plans
What foods to avoid
- Highly processed foods
- High fructose corn syrup
- Vegetable fats that are high in trans fats
Nick’s fondest food memories
Is seeing his grandmother from the back, because she was always in front of the stove. His favourite meal growing up was meatloaf, mashed potatoes and a salad. He always had 3 courses for dinner growing up.
Know more about Nick
Who would you love to have dinner with and where?
Alain Ducasse at a place where he would choose.
Last meal on the planet?
His mother’s meatloaf
Where to find Nick
Author: Ronsley Vaz
Ronsley is the founder & chief day dreamer at AMPLIFY. He is an author, speaker & serial entrepreneur.
He has a Masters’ degree in Software Engineering and an MBA in Psychology and Leadership. He is known as the creator of We Are Podcast – the first Podcasting Conference in the Southern Hemisphere, and the host of The Bond Appetit Podcast and Should I Start a Podcast. He has an audience of over 3 million in 133 countries.