Anthony Fassio is the CEO of Natural Gourmet Institute and Chair of Slow Food NYC.
Anthony joined NGI as CEO in August 2013 with expansive knowledge of the food and culinary industries, drawing on experiences that range from serving as Chair of Slow Food New York City to graduating second in his class at Le Cordon Bleu in Paris. Anthony’s areas of expertise include sustainable and healthy foods as well as consumer food goods, restaurant and private catering, family agriculture, non-profit management, supply chain distribution, and food safety.
In this episode we talk about:
- What is Natural Gourmet Institute?
- Why Anthony got to do what he is doing?
- What is sustainable foods?
- What is farming like in the United States
- How Natural Gourmet Institute go about procuring their ingredients
- Banana Flour
- How NGI get their meats and fish
- The two different ways of slaughtering an animal
- What Anthony's experience with getting his MBA
Nutrition and Meal Plans
What foods to avoid
- Processed foods
What foods to actively seek out
- Fresh food
Anthony's fondest food memories
In the field vine ripened tomato is Anthony's favourite food growing up. He has a beautiful story of plucking and eating tomatoes like apples.
- Try to walk and move as much as possible
- Cook a quick grain like quinoa
- Or cook other stuff and portion it out in batches for the week
- Cut the meat very thin for quick meals
Quick dinner ideas
- Salad – cut everything up and put it into a bowl
- Cook the quinoa and make everything else while the quinoa cooks
Tips on reducing wastage
- Pickling and then use them in salads or in tacos
- Make soups and stews
Do you have a clean eating diet plan?
Yes. Its all about creating balance.
Know more about Anthony
Who would you love to have dinner with and where?
Ruth Richel while finding a great taco, sitting on a bench in NYC
Last meal on the planet?
Mama's tomato sauce with pasta, fresh greens on the side and some bread
Where to find Anthony
Author: Ronsley Vaz
Ronsley is the founder & chief day dreamer at AMPLIFY. He is an author, speaker & serial entrepreneur.
He has a Masters’ degree in Software Engineering and an MBA in Psychology and Leadership. He is known as the creator of We Are Podcast – the first Podcasting Conference in the Southern Hemisphere, and the host of The Bond Appetit Podcast and Should I Start a Podcast. He has an audience of over 3 million in 133 countries.