David Roth is a branding expert. He has his Masters degree in Human Development, is a publisher, and editor-in-chief, turned expert brand stager, and serial (cereal) entrepreneur.
David is the founder of Palate and Spirit Magazine, a travel and food magazine that showcases peoples unique experiences with food – the first magazine of it's kind.
He gained notoriety from founding Cereality Cereal Bar & Cafe -the famous cereal only restaurant, and is the co-founder of Get Stirred Up – Brand Staging.
In this episode we talk about:
- his first branding experience at age 11 – changing his family name
- an unplanned path academically and financially
- how he ended up at Harvard
- his experience working as a consultant to help businesses deal with substance abuse, AIDS and depression in the workplace
- David's mantra: that you should bring who you are to what you do
- appearing on CNBC: The Big Idea with Donny Deutsch
- Some advice for entrepreneurs: “get to know your inner demons because, they will haunt you every time you take a chance”
- starting Cereality – Cereal Bar & Cafe
- how planning a trip to Italy evolved into Palate and Spirit food and travel magazine
- sharing an elevator with Julia Child
- Eat for Two – food sharing
- a culinary adventure to the Dominican Republic and disparities in peoples relationships with food
- profound food experiences and revisiting your childhood through food
- two life changing Roast Chicken recipes
- over coming challenges: knowing when to walk away from a path that is not truly fulfilling and “finding the right lane”
- branding and how important it is for businesses
Nutrition and Meal Plans
David's fondest food memories
- There were 5 other couples in the neighbourhood where David's parents lived when they were just starting their family. The couples were all about the same ages. They remained friends for their entire lives. Every month from 1948 for they would meet for dinner. He remembers enjoying food, and helping his mother in the kitchen. This taught him valuable lessons in friendship, and how much joy and celebration can come from food.
The quickest meal you can put together
- Roast chicken with gorgonzola under the skin, stuffed with garlic, rosemary, and fresh thyme. Served with a toasted bread salad, toasted pine nuts, currents and served with arugula.
Know more about David
Who would you love to have dinner with and where?
Barak Obama & Michelle Obama at the White House
Last meal on the planet?
He would want Grant Achatz of Alinea, Chicago to cook his last meal. His meal could active all the senses and help him feel completely alive. If Grant could prepare a perfect, french tuna tartare surrounded by black truffles, that would be ‘a pretty good way to leave'.
- The Big Idea with Donny Deutsch – Cereality Feature
- Cereality – Cereal Bar & Cafe
- Eat for Two – food sharing
- Get Stirred Up
Where to find David
Author: Ronsley Vaz
Ronsley is the founder & chief day dreamer at AMPLIFY. He is an author, speaker & serial entrepreneur.
He has a Masters’ degree in Software Engineering and an MBA in Psychology and Leadership. He is known as the creator of We Are Podcast – the first Podcasting Conference in the Southern Hemisphere, and the host of The Bond Appetit Podcast and Should I Start a Podcast. He has an audience of over 3 million in 133 countries.