Elroy is currently finishing his PhD at the University of Newcastle’s Priority Research Centre for Physical Activity and Nutrition. His research aims to use diet, exercise and resistance to help men at high risk of type 2 diabetes.
Elroy’s PhD study involves the development of a new program that takes a novel approach to prevention for men at risk of type 2 diabetes. Elroy has a fully mature Photography business and specialises in event photography, landscapes and personal portraits. I’ve known Elroy all my life.
We’ve had many entrepreneurial conversations and I’m a huge fan of the way Elroy approaches new ideas and goals.
Elroy has implemented a self-administered weight loss program that in 6 months the 100 men that took part in the research lost an average of 5 kilograms.
Nutrition and Cooking
What foods to avoid
- Kilojoule dense, nutrient poor
- Junk foods
- Pre-packaged foods
- High in salt
- High in sugar
What foods to actively seek out
- Lean proteins
- Fish and chicken
- High in lean meats
- Red meat in moderation
- Lots of veggies
- 5 serves of Vegetables & 2 serves of fruit
Elroy fondest food memories
Loves his mum's food, and the food from Goa. Chicken Xacuti with chapatti.
- Elroy exercises about 5 times a week with a variation of:
- Field sport – hockey and football
- Resistance training in the gym
- Body balance and Pilates
- Create a colourful plate
- Avoiding any pre-packaged foods and focus only on fresh produce
- Buy fresh ginger and garlic
- Create a marinade with soy sauce + garlic + honey and put it on anything
- Use the oven as much as possible, so that you can do something else while stuff is in the oven
- Use kangaroo meat – it is leaner than beef
Choose a lean meat (fish or chicken) and put it in a pan with Moroccan seasoning with veggies that can be eaten raw (carrot, onion, tomato, capsicum, cucumber).
Tips on reducing wastage
- Shop more often, buy less
- Make your own veggie patch
Know more about Elroy
Who would you love to have dinner with and where?
Jamie Oliver at one of his restaurants or at his house.
Meal that would represent the planet?
Banquet of foods and signature dishes from different continents around the world.
Elroy has tried guinea pig and alpaca in South America, snake and rat in Vietnam, and crispy fried bugs in Thailand.
Where to find Elroy
Author: Ronsley Vaz
Ronsley is the founder & chief day dreamer at AMPLIFY. He is an author, speaker & serial entrepreneur.
He has a Masters’ degree in Software Engineering and an MBA in Psychology and Leadership. He is known as the creator of We Are Podcast – the first Podcasting Conference in the Southern Hemisphere, and the host of The Bond Appetit Podcast and Should I Start a Podcast. He has an audience of over 3 million in 133 countries.