Chef Michael Young has seen it all. He currently is the restaurant chef at the Grand Wailea Resort in Hawaii. He has opened and run his own restaurant for over 9 years. He has had a typical chef lifestyle and lived the life that only crazy people go through. He lived the life of sleeping only 4 hours a night for over a year and a half while doing his externship and going through culinary school.
He has worked in the hospitality industry for as long as he can remember. He has been a chef since he was 19. He has been through culinary school and has worked in Michelin Star Restaurants as well.
In this episode we talk about:
- How and why he got into being a chef
- What goes into being a chef and sacrifices chefs make
- His experiences working in a Michelin Star restaurant
- His best story on how a chef quit his job
- What are the standards when it comes to being a chef
- What are the most exotic dishes he has ever made
- What he deals with at the restaurant now
- How to develop a menu
- How to cook like a chef
- What really happens on a TV food show and how they create drama
Nutrition and Meal Plans
What foods to avoid
- Stuff from a packet
- Commodity Pork
What foods to actively seek out
- Fresh foods that are in season
Michael’s fondest food memories
His grandmother’s Lemon Meringue Pie
- Get more experience cooking
- Think ahead
- Do your prep work before
- Have some sauces ready that you have made
- Go to the market and buy some vegetables
Know more about Michael
Who would you love to have dinner with and where?
The Dalai Lama, anywhere.
Last meal on the planet?
A big bowl of Fa
- BOOK: Heat by Bill Buford
- BOOK: The Flavor Thesaurus: A Compendium of Pairings, Recipes and Ideas for the Creative Cook
- BOOK: The Flavor Bible: The Essential Guide to Culinary Creativity, Based on the Wisdom of America’s Most Imaginative Chefs
Where to find Michael
On twitter @
Author: Ronsley Vaz
Ronsley is the founder & chief day dreamer at AMPLIFY. He is an author, speaker & serial entrepreneur.
He has a Masters’ degree in Software Engineering and an MBA in Psychology and Leadership. He is known as the creator of We Are Podcast – the first Podcasting Conference in the Southern Hemisphere, and the host of The Bond Appetit Podcast and Should I Start a Podcast. He has an audience of over 3 million in 133 countries.