On this week’s instalment of the Bond Appetit show, I’m treated to the company of someone who’s built wildly successful businesses and managed to keep hold of his life outside of work at the same time. Best described as a ‘creative polymath’, Murray Galbraith’s multi-award winning career spans several industries, including design, media, advertising, technology and events.
A serial entrepreneur, passionate about blending storytelling and design with bleeding edge technology, Murray is the creator of the cult streetwear label Because Design, The Hype Foundation, The Sorrow and Dads.co. Murray is currently creative director of Myriad – Australia’s fastest growing tech and innovation event.
Our conversation touches on a number of deep topics: business philosophy, deploying empathy, balancing work and family, imposter syndrome, mental health, cultural legacies and creating innovative energy. There’s so much in this episode, it’s hard to cram it all into a single paragraph.
Click play to hear all of the above, plus this stuff too…
- The importance of ‘curating for empathy’
- What success means to Murray
- The loneliness of entrepreneurship
- What Myriad is all about
- How to deal with ‘fetal position moments’
- Old paradigms that need to be let go of
- The challenges of being an entrepreneur while having a family
- The argument for hyperfocus
- Changing definitions of ‘self’
- Why Murray moved his family away from San Francisco
- The power of building something that incorporates different perspectives
- Imposter syndrome and how to deal with it
- The defining characteristic of commonwealth countries
- Why bigger isn’t always better
- Why social innovation is one of the most exciting things in the world
Author: Ronsley Vaz
Ronsley is the founder & chief day dreamer at AMPLIFY. He is an author, speaker & serial entrepreneur.
He has a Masters’ degree in Software Engineering and an MBA in Psychology and Leadership. He is known as the creator of We Are Podcast – the first Podcasting Conference in the Southern Hemisphere, and the host of The Bond Appetit Podcast and Should I Start a Podcast. He has an audience of over 3 million in 133 countries.
Podcast: Play in new window | Download