Digital and interactive media. Entrepreneurship (real entrepreneurship, not the entrepreneurship you do between when you don’t want to admit you’re unemployed). Start-ups. Cities as the economic drivers of nations. Business strategy. Speaking. Facilitating. Educating. Those are all Cat Matson’s things. Professionally.
And personally? Cat is all about confronting convention and societal rules that don’t work in a modern world. Australian politics and the political system. Photography. How technology is changing, enhancing or destroying social relationships. Juicy, robust conversations. Questioning heroes and gurus, looking for peers instead. Mental wellness and open conversations about the prevalence of mental un-wellness and that impact. Personal development through life experience. Red wines, white wines and coffee. Dancing the night away. Those are Cat’s things too.
Clearly, I had an amazing conversation with cheeky Cat in this episode. It was phenomenal to learn more about her innovative job as Chief Digital Officer for the City of Brisbane and how she is relying on her experience as a digital and start-up strategist in shaking up the digital scene in the public sector.
To give you an idea about all the exciting ideas we discussed in this episode:
- What the role of Chief Digital Officer for a city looks like and what Cat does for Brisbane
- Why small business sectors, entrepreneurs and a city’s reputation are all key factors in transforming a city’s digital economy
- Strategically selecting which digital platforms work for your business and why
- The advantages and disadvantages of relying on word of mouth marketing
- Taking care to not generalise all business owners in economy
- Cat’s strong feminine energy and powerful presence and how that developed
- The paradox of how being of service can be humbling and extraordinarily powerful
- What Cat believes her great purpose is in life
- What Brisbane is doing to develop a smart city framework for its people
- The concerns that Cat has about eliminating human serendipity if a city becomes an algorithm
- Distinguishing between opinions and informed opinions
- The problem of how to systematically open data to everyone for them to add value
- Grappling with the dichotomy between confidence versus arrogance
Where to find Cat Matson
Author: Ronsley Vaz
Ronsley is the founder & chief day dreamer at AMPLIFY. He is an author, speaker & serial entrepreneur.
He has a Masters’ degree in Software Engineering and an MBA in Psychology and Leadership. He is known as the creator of We Are Podcast – the first Podcasting Conference in the Southern Hemisphere, and the host of The Bond Appetit Podcast and Should I Start a Podcast. He has an audience of over 3 million in 133 countries.
Podcast: Play in new window | Download