Born in Melbourne, Australia, Darren Rowse is a full time blogger. He is also an author and online entrepreneur. He is the editorial manager and originator of Digital Photography School and SnapnDeals. Rowse started blogging in 2002 on a personal blog ‘LivingRoom’. Out of this blog, he launched a Digital Photography Blog in 2003. This quickly became a commercial success and the launching pad for many other blogs in the coming years. He writes about photography, blogging and online networking.
Darren is the co-writer of “ProBlogger” the book. The book helped establish various organizations and talks generally on blogging and online networking. His principle web journals are ProBlogger.net and Digital-Photography-School.com which have a consolidated readership of more than 5 million readers for every month.
Rowse is a co-founder of b5media. Additionally, he is a co-founder of sixfigureblogging.com and the author of ProBlogger: Secrets for Blogging Your Way to a Six Figure Income (Wiley).
Darren also consults world wide with bloggers and companies interested in the medium. Moreover, he speaks on the topic of blogging and new media and is regularly featured in articles and interviews in both online and off-line media.
In this episode we talk about:
- The Journey of podcasting
- How Darren keeps his blogs lively and consistently growing
- Why Podcasting now?
- The start of blogging
- The 31 day challenge podcast episodes
- Managing time on creating the 31 day challenge contents
- Darren’s #1 tip to doing business in the new economy
- The biggest challenge or obstacles that a podcaster should overcome
- Establish Audience
- The advantages of podcasting
- Why Podcasting is so hot?
- Repurposing the contents
- How to gain engagement by communicating someone via the auditory sense
- Th effective way of listening the podcasts
- Blogging about Ministry/Spirituality
- Blogging your passion
- How to build your blogging presence online.
- The effects of sitting around the table and eating
- Love for food as center point of the community
- The sharing of foods brought up a wonderful conversations
- The importance of meal conversations in a family
- Importance of healthy diet, exercise and avoiding bad habits or eating wrong foods
- How to control overeating and reducing calories
- Practicing fasting
- Different types of fasting
- Proper time to do fasting
- Importance of exercising
- The style of eating
- Listening to what your body needs
- The idea of ProBlogger events and how it started
- The difference between blogging for business, and personal blogging
- Making money from blogging
- How the Problogger event has been an inspiration?
- What life is like as a full-time ‘problogger’
- The top three Keys to organizing events
- Keeping good people the same way by good conversations
- Practicing and model good community
- The solopreneurship hire vision
- How Darren plans his podcast?
- Plans to monetize podcast around products and things which helps communities
- Why most Bloggers/Podcasters sort of think of direct monetization through advertising as the first penacle?
- Idea of creating an e-book
- Advertising campaign
- The most profitable technique
- Preferred things to know to learn before starting podcasting
- How does one know whether it’s a good medium for them?
- Great Motivation:
– “My passions revolve around building community and communication – two things that I think blogging is great at”
– “There are many things and people that I find inspiring, but one of the simplest ones is to make a difference in the lives of others. I get so much energy from hearing that something I’ve said or done has helped another person in some way.”
– “Blogging isn’t about growing rich. It’s about communicating on a topic that you enjoy, have a passion for and want to connect with others on. So pick a topic that reflects who you are.”
Nutrition and Meal Plans
What foods to avoid
What foods to actively seek out
Darren’s fondest food memories
Sharing meals with his family around a table
10,000 steps goal of walking at least half an hour or up to an hour
Know more about Darren
Who would you love to have dinner with and where?
“I’ve met a few times Seth Godin and I really enjoyed the short conversations that we’ve had. I think we’re both introvert. We have probably warm up to have dinner more than we had in a limited opportunity we have had to chat. I think he’ll be someone I think it would be fascinating to chat with. Also, I actually had dinner with Tim Ferris before he launched his book.
He kind of targeted all the hippo bloggers to get this book out there so we had dinner with a number of other people, but he set with my wife and I. I would just love to catch up with him and day brief on that journey he had since then because it’s just a win win for him.
I am happy as long as it is good food. If I was choosing where to take them probably in Melbourne a little restaurant called Maja.”
Last meal on the planet?
“Middle eastern flavors, slow cooked lamb, and green salad”
- Digital Photography School
- 31 Days to Build a Better Blog
- ProBlogger’s Guide to Blogging for Business
- Darren on Twitter
- Darren on Facebook
- Add Darren on Google+
Where to find Darren
Author: Ronsley Vaz
Ronsley is the founder & chief day dreamer at AMPLIFY. He is an author, speaker & serial entrepreneur.
He has a Masters’ degree in Software Engineering and an MBA in Psychology and Leadership. He is known as the creator of We Are Podcast – the first Podcasting Conference in the Southern Hemisphere, and the host of The Bond Appetit Podcast and Should I Start a Podcast. He has an audience of over 3 million in 133 countries.