Tom Tate was elected Mayor of the City of Gold Coast, in April 2012. He is a civil engineer by trade, having graduated from the University of NSW in the early '80s. He started his career in the construction industry and later moved into the tourism and hospitality industry. He has served as CEO of the family-owned business, which includes the Islander Resort Hotel on the Gold Coast, for over 20 years.
Tom is an active member of the Gold Coast business community, having served for many years as a director for a variety of business associations and organisations, including Gold Coast Rugby and the Gold Coast Turf Club, and as Director and Regional Chairman of the Chamber of Commerce and Industry Queensland. Tom is a Life Member of the Surfers Paradise/Broadbeach Chamber of Commerce. He has been married to his wife, Ruth, for 35 years and together they have four children.
As Mayor, Tom is working to return that ‘have a go' spirit back to the Gold Coast. He has committed to reducing the cost of living pressure facing residents, reforming the City of Gold Coast, cutting waste and broadening the Gold Coast's economic base. The multicultural Mayor was born in Asia and speaks three languages.
Darren Scott is the Director Economic Development and Major Projects at City of Gold Coast since 2006. He is an Executive with multi-sector experience in engineering, transport, finance and government. Darren joined Council in 2006 and leads the Economic Development and Major Projects Directorate delivering projects and activities of economic significance to the Gold Coast. Current responsibilities include Evandale Cultural Precinct, Chinatown, Council component of Commonwealth Games, trade and export development, tourism infrastructure projects and special events.
His professional experience before joining Government includes engineering design and construction management in Australia and PNG and business strategy and transport consulting in Australia, Asia and USA. Mr Scott holds a Master of Business Administration, a Bachelor of Civil Engineering (Honours) and is a graduate of the Australian Institute of Company Directors.
In this episode we talk about:
- Mayor Tom Tate’s Entrepreneurial mind
- The importance of goal spirit
- The go-getter skills
- Mayor’s opinion on Outsourcing or subcontracting
- Being Australian
- The small business as the basis for growth
- His plan on Gold coast council in moving forward and innovate
- Helping small business owners finding mentors to progress
- What did Mayor Tate learn in the business world for more than 20 years?
- The feeling of Doom and Gloom in Entrepreneurial moment and learn to think outside the box
- Mayor Tate Favorite Thai dish
- His mom’s love in cooking Thai foods
- Mayor Tom’s secret 35 years of marriage
- How he was blessed with fantastic family
- His family’s typical breakfast
- Darren Scott’s family life
- A life changing moment being a dad
- Darren Scott as EDMP Director and what’s his role helping the small business industries
- Entrepreneurship and small business
- How exactly the government can help?
- Providing platforms for the businesses to grow
- The export market to help grow the economy
- The tourism investment
- The growth industries
- Education as very important export industry providing safe , easy, great lifestyle and facilities and used to multiculturalism
- The challenges working in the government versus working in private sectors
- The big difference coming in a government role
- The importance of engagement to a community
- Finding ways to help the border communities
- The Gold Coast Economic development
- The top things or projects that keeping Darren occupy most
- How is the commonwealth games innovating?
- The Gold coast is coming to help grow and enhance the CGS brand
- The new ideas on how to create greater legacy about the sporting event
- The commonwealth games marketing perspective plan
- The biggest platform to get the people engage and come in to the game
- The cutting edge in digital perspective
- The right content for the right people to achieve the outcomes to deliver the games
- The importance of foods playing in Darren’s everyday Life
- Darren’s favorite food
Nutrition and Meal Plans
What foods to actively seek out
- Protein shakes
- Healthy foods
Know more about Tom and Darren
Last meal on the planet?
“I would go for the seafood platter. I love bugs. Morten Bay Bugs barbecued, and at the end I'd like Pavlova.”
“A great product in terms of advertising the locations. Fresh sea foods from the East coast of Australia.”
Where to find Tom and Darren
Author: Ronsley Vaz
Ronsley is the founder & chief day dreamer at AMPLIFY. He is an author, speaker & serial entrepreneur.
He has a Masters’ degree in Software Engineering and an MBA in Psychology and Leadership. He is known as the creator of We Are Podcast – the first Podcasting Conference in the Southern Hemisphere, and the host of The Bond Appetit Podcast and Should I Start a Podcast. He has an audience of over 3 million in 133 countries.
Podcast: Play in new window | Download