How To Improve Your Conversation Skills Through Listening
The louder we speak the more we’re heard, right? If you want to be a good podcast host, this definitely isn’t true. Having the ability to listen is the number one skill a great interviewer can have.
Welcome to Should I Start A Podcast,
where each week Ronsley Vaz, with the help of a star-studded entrepreneurial guest lineup, explores why you should start a podcast, build an audience, and how to keep them hungry for more.
If you’re thinking about starting a podcast or simply looking for a better way to get your message out to your audience, then this is the podcast for you.
In this episode of Should I Start a Podcast, Ronsley speaks with Dr. Mark Goulston. Mark is a business psychiatrist, suicide prevention expert, TEDx speaker and consultant. He is also the author of the bestselling book Just Listen, which has continuously ranked #1 in six Amazon/Kindle categories. Mark has also been named one of America’s top psychiatrists four times by the Consumers’ Research Council of America.
Mark’s revered expertise is in high demand. He is regularly featured in major media including The Wall Street Journal, Harvard Business Review, Fortune, Newsweek, CNN, NPR, and Fox News.
Mark and Ronsley get to the heart of how to get through to people by listening. They discuss why giving someone eight words can break down communication barriers and why Mark only wants to work with people who aren’t money motivated.
Also within this episode:
- How Mark gets the world’s most powerful influencers to open up on air
- The four qualities people need to be in the ‘Tribe’
- Why hosts often interrupt, but really shouldn’t
- The prove, show, hide, please exercise
- How Mark found his calling
- How you can use Targeted Interventional Therapy to help someone you know
- Why a conversation is more about listening and not saying
- Be like Larry King – Why you should approach interviews with curiosity
- Why you should be a first-class ‘noticer’
Author: Ronsley Vaz
Ronsley is the founder & chief day dreamer at AMPLIFY. He is an author, speaker & serial entrepreneur.
He has a Masters’ degree in Software Engineering and an MBA in Psychology and Leadership. He is known as the creator of We Are Podcast – the first Podcasting Conference in the Southern Hemisphere, and the host of The Bond Appetit Podcast and Should I Start a Podcast. He has an audience of over 3 million in 133 countries.