Nicky Mih is the newest CALI Award winner who is fighting child sex slavery in Cambodia through her scholarship programme. Free To Shine was founded in June 2010 after Nicky spent a month with more than 200 survivors of child sex slavery.
The approach and philosophy was not to rescue or fix but to empower through education. They wanted survivors to be able to attend university, and they wanted every young girl to be protected from the horrors of being trafficked.
In this episode we talk about:
- Why Nicky had to change her last name and what MIH stands for
- About the Free to Shine organisation
- Why she started the Free to Shine organisation and what it stands for
- Nicky being inspired by books to make a life-changing path
- About sex trafficking and slavery in Cambodia
- Nicky Mih dealing with her mental battle
- How she helps sex trafficking survivors rebuild their lives
- Nicky’s perspective on pain and sadness
- Her journey in educating students to saying ‘NO’ to their parents in order to protect themselves
- Her idea around empowering a child to be assertive and knowing what is right and wrong
- The challenges Nicky encounters in actual operations of Free to Shine
- How to get in touch with FreetoShine.org
Where to find Nicky Mih
Author: Ronsley Vaz
Ronsley is the founder & chief day dreamer at AMPLIFY. He is an author, speaker & serial entrepreneur.
He has a Masters’ degree in Software Engineering and an MBA in Psychology and Leadership. He is known as the creator of We Are Podcast – the first Podcasting Conference in the Southern Hemisphere, and the host of The Bond Appetit Podcast and Should I Start a Podcast. He has an audience of over 3 million in 133 countries.